Monday, July 29, 2013

Shoes for Sybarite

I found some tiny stickers and wanted to use them for doll shoes. As I hadn't made anything for the Sybarite in a long time, I decided to use the resin soles I made some time ago.

First step was painting them. I used two tiny plastic cups and attached the soles to them with double-sided mounting tape to be able to paint all sides at once (except the insoles). I used Revell Enamel Paint number 04 for these.

Here is the sheet of stickers. You can't really see the scale, but the photos further below will make that clear.

For the uppers, I decided to use clear plastic. Below you can see the type of plastic I'm using for the doll shoes. It is soft and doesn't show any creases even after doing this:

The insoles have two layers of cardboard and one layer of leather, and I painted the edges.

The following photos show the order of attaching the stickers.

I even decided to put some on the insoles where they would remain visible.

After attaching all stickers, it was time to apply sealer. Again I attached the soles to the plastic cups to get even layer of sealer on all sides.

The uppers are very simple as there is no point doing anything very elaborate when using clear plastic alone (without any stickers).

I cut the pieces from the plastic and used the lines in the pattern to attach pieces of double-sided adhesive tape to the parts that go under the insole.

After making holes to the flaps, I attached the uppers. For more information on why I made the holes, see an earlier blog post.

Then I just needed to glue the insoles in place. Here are the finished shoes from several angles.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Fashion Doll Shoes in ipernity

I created a new group in ipernity. Obviously, it's called Fashion Doll Shoes. It is an open group for all photos of high heel fashion doll shoes, so if you're in ipernity and take photos of your dolls' shoes, you're welcome to add them to the group. The only limitations at the moment are that the shoes need to have high heels and the photos must be of the shoes, not entire dolls. Hopefully, there will be no need of any additional limitations.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Miscellaneous stuff

I haven't done anything new for a while, but there are some things from last year that I haven't posted yet. First pair is Monster High wedges made of Cernit/Fimo and some lace. The method of making the soles is the one explained in this blog post. These are very simple shoes with just the wedge soles, insoles made of cardboard and leather, and some lace.

I made these shoes specifically for the Grayscale Frankie and you can see her wearing them in the story The Not So Grim Reaper.

The next two are variations of the Leopard print shoes for Monster High dolls.

The last Monster High pair is made of what was left of the card-woven band I used for Nefera's shoes.

Finally, there's the first pair I've ever made for a Novi Stars doll, in this case, Una Verse. I made these to go together with a dress I crocheted for the doll using the same sewing threads as in the card-woven bands. Otherwise, they're just leather, cardboard, and pieces of wood for heels.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

An old pair from 2007

I made these shoes for Madame Alexander's Cissy in 2007. These are among the first experiments I made with plaster casting soles.

I covered the soles with fabric.

Then I glued on some plastic decorations. The fabric had to be used partly to keep the plaster from chipping, partly because parts of the soles will always show between the decorations, no matter how carefully you place them.

Finally, I glued on the insoles and straps and covered the sides with sealer.

The shoes have been stored in a box with other pairs for several years now and the other day, when I took them out, I noticed this:

The sealer looks really bad. This is the only pair where this has happened. All the other ones, even the oldest, look fine, so I have no idea why it happened with these shoes. Could be a reaction between PVA glue and sealer.

The original Finnish blog post is here.